Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fiat has Really Big Plans!! How does this Help Chrysler??

Not able to get real information about Fiat and their plans from reading the Windsor Star I turned to other sources including the Financial Times.

In the Monday May 4th edition of the Financial Times, a well written story outlined Fiat's goals, ambitions and strategies to become a major auto giant in Europe and globally. These and other steps are in my opinion being taken to save Fiat, nothing wrong with that. But I am more interested in Chrysler and Windsor Essex.

Fiat CEO Mr. Marchionne has been busy in other parts of the world:
Lets see now, 35% of Chrysler for free, that takes care of North America. All of General Motors operations in Europe, deals in China, India and Russia. Boy all this wheeling and dealing is making me tired.

How does a company with limited financial resources do all these deals?? And how are these deals to be sustained??

But really, my biggggggggg question is: how is Fiat going to sell Chrysler products in China, India, Europe and Russia if they have deals to sell other products in those markets?? Maybe I am missing something here. But I thought the reason governments in the U.S. and Canada are pouring BBBBillions of dollars into this Chrysler - Fiat merger was to give Chrysler products a bigger platform at home and abroad??